sunnuntai 15. toukokuuta 2022

March in East Europa (in English)

War in Ukraine begun 24th of February. So it was very easy to read Ukrainan books in March... and in April too, although Krim is not an Island. Together I read about 30 books from Ukraine during those two month's.

Estonia I wish I have read this Aino Kallas's book when I was teenager. The Wolf's Bride has been publisher first time in 1928, but it is still fresh. 
Greece Maijaliisa Dieckmann has written historical books for children.

Greece Sigismund Virtanen Troijan sodassa is book where young boy, Sigismund Virtanen fly with his family to Greece and during nights he dream how he was in the war of Troya. I think this is not translated in English. 

Greece Stefanos Xenakis The Simplest Gift is book like your home: everyday stories about ordinary people. Fantastic. 

Hungary I have read Maija Asunta-Johansson's all books before this Punainen jääkaappi (Red fridge). Writer have been worked in the UN (IAEA) in Austria and she bought a cottage from the countryside of Hungary near Serbia where she grows berries and vegetables like radishes. Her books are her memoir and written like columns in women's Magazines. Ungortunately not translated in English. 

Russia  I read Kalle Kniivilä's book Alekseij Navalnyin Putinin pahin vihollinen (Alekseij Navalnyin The worst enemy of Putin). Not translated in English, but I think that Jan Matti Dollbaum, Morvan Lallbouet and Ben Noble has written similar kind of book Navalny, Putin' s Nemesis, Russian's Future

Ukraine
In March I read 9 books from Ukraina. 
Nikolai Gogol Taras Bulba, old story about horsemen in Ukreine.
Mihail Bulgakov  The White Guard. War in Ukraine about 1920, after Russian 1918 war. 
Oleksandr Dovzenko Desna River (maybe this is not translated in English, but you can see the movie. Book is about childhood of Dovzenko).
Irina Ratushinskaya In the beginning (I thin this is right book.) The book I read tells about Irina's childhood in Odessa. 
Andrei Kurkov Death and the Penguin, funny and sad in same time. I loved that book. 
Wendy Lower A Family, a Photograph, a Holocaust Massacre Revealed. I hope, that one day I could write this style! You have one picture... and then you have a marvelous story about very, very sad things. 
Vasyl Kozhelyanko Silver Spider is the only criminal novel, that I have found from native Ukrainian literature. 
Kati Saurula is Finnish author. She has written a story about Tsernobyl then and now. Novel is also a narrative family story. Name of book could be in English The city of Wormwood. Workers in Tsernobyl lived in the city of Prypjat. It is the same size of town that Joensuu, where Saurula lives and I have studied in the University. Saurula thought, that it was amazing, that it was possible to evacuate city of that size only in few days. So. She wrote a book.  
And last one, History, Fight in Kiova 1941 - Stalin's big loss. (Not translated in English, I think).

14 books
5 country (zero new country)

Nämäkin voisivat kiinnostaa Sinua

Koilis- ja Luoteisväylää etsimässä

Koilisväylän löysi suomalainen A. E. Nordenskiöld miehistöineen ruotsalaisella Vega aluksella vuosina 1878-1879. Väylä oli tuolloin käyttöke...