perjantai 18. helmikuuta 2022

January in the Arctic (English only)

In the January, I visited Arctic and Antarctica. Greenland, North Canada, North Pole, North Norway Svalbard and Faroe Islands. 

In the beginning of January I thought that one book is enough, but I noticed, that I read six books and visited quite many places. 

I read first a Finnish book (not translated in English), Otto Hyyrysen Murtumispiste-kirjan. 

The other one was  Sjón The Splinter from Argo. It was quite mystic book, and I could have enjoyed more, if I had read about Greece mythology more before this book. 

The third book has been written by Ville-Juhani Sutinen Arktis -likaista lunta (Arctic - dirty snow) kirjaa. Book was really nice combination of interesting journey and history and climate chancing. Book is not translated in English.  

Then I read two quite similar books from Timo Polari, who has skied in Greenland and in South-Pole. Those books are in Finnish only. In both books Polari tells abut all of his travels in very cold climate.

Last book was Clive Cusser Arctic Drift was quite adventure! I have read before about HMS Erebus and HMS Terror ships from 1840's. Those ships tried to find western way around North Pole: "The Northwest Passage".

Leader of this project was John Franklin from England. There was a lot of ice in 1847 and ships couldn't move. And then all died. 

Clive Cusser have noticed this historical story, and wrote Artic Drift about those ships today. Quite a story!, I think. 

This was my first Cusser, but not last one. 



Nämäkin voisivat kiinnostaa Sinua

Koilis- ja Luoteisväylää etsimässä

Koilisväylän löysi suomalainen A. E. Nordenskiöld miehistöineen ruotsalaisella Vega aluksella vuosina 1878-1879. Väylä oli tuolloin käyttöke...