lauantai 12. maaliskuuta 2022

February in West-Europa (in English)

February, snowing, raining, snowing, raining... How nice to be in sofa and read, read, read.

I visited couple of countries and read 16 books from West Europa (in total 27 books in 12 countries), not so bad. 

Austria Jose Saramago The Elephants Journey. Book tell how an elephant walks from Portugal to Austria. Elephant was really a present from king of Portugal to king of Austria in 1500's. Quite a journey over the Alps! 

Danmark Pia Juul Mårdet på Halland. Juul is Danish poet, but this was criminal book. You may find book also in Deutch Das Leben nach dem Happy End. Not transladet in English, but could be The Mord of Halland or The life after Happy end) 

Finland Volter Kilpi In the Alastalo Parlor, is classic book from South-West Finland. It is an one day book, like James Joyce's Ulysses, and mostly hard to read like Ulysses. I read it in Finnish and I loved Kilpi's words.

France Gustave Flaubert Correspondence Flaubert in Egypt: A Sendibility on Tour. Flaubert travels with his friend and servant from France to Malta, Egypt, Greece, Italy... I can not recommend this book to young people, but for adult this is realistic letters from young mans travels. 

Germany Alfred Döblin Die Ermordung einer Butterblume und andere Erzählungen. Book is not translated in English. It is couple of short novels from writer of Berlin Alexanderplats, that is quite a book!

Great Brittany John Keats The Letters of John Keats. I read book in Finnish, and there was 100 last letters of Keats. I like Keats poems and I have visited his favorite Cafe in Rome. 
I read also Richard Osman's book The Thursday Murder Club. In Finland it is quite popular. It tells about luxury retirement village in Kent. For me this was not a best book in this year, but I really wish that I would get money enough to move this kind of place when I will be in that age. 
The third book from England was J.R.R. Tolkien's about his Christmas letters for his children: Letters from Father Christmas. Finally I could find it in Finnish. 

Italy Pliny the Younger have written a lot of letters, that can be read even now. I read a book in Finnish: Letters from Imperial Rome: A selection of letters from Pliny the Younger. In English there is for e.g. Pliny's tenth Book of Letters.
I read also a Finnish book Jukka M. Heikkilä Sisilian prinsessa. Not translated in English, but could be a Princess of Sicily (Syracuse). It is a historical book about historical princess who was also living God in part of Greece. Princess is Lanassa and she become in 291 B.C. one of wives of Demetrius I of Macedon. Story was quite a story! And I hope you could read it in English one day. 

Netherlands Rosemary Sullivan The Betrayal of Anne Frank. Who tipped off the Nazis? Or was it only bad luck for Frank's family?

Portugal Luis Ruffato is writer from Brazil and he has on of most famous writer from there. This was second book I read from him. It was quite shock that his books has not translated in English. In Spanish book is Estuve en Lisboa y me acordé de ti (in Lisbon I remembered you). In book man travels from Brazil to Portugal to find a good job and there he works and send money for his relatives. 

Spain Kåre Halldén Cavakungen is book from Spanish sparkling wine (cava) farm. Book is not translated in English but it could be King of Cava. 

Sweden Merri Vik Aika hassua, Lotta! not translated in English. Helt otroligt, Lotta! in Swedish. Book is for teenagers or young adults. 
I read also adult book or actually whole series of tree books : Lars Wilderäng Stjärnklart. I thought that this could be book in near future after virus or something that kind, but this was kind of scifi book. Scifi and aliens are not my favorite, but the first part was good (and no alien in it). 

Switzerland Joel Dicker The Mystery of Room 622. I loved this book. And now I hope, that i could travel to Switzerland. 






Nämäkin voisivat kiinnostaa Sinua

Koilis- ja Luoteisväylää etsimässä

Koilisväylän löysi suomalainen A. E. Nordenskiöld miehistöineen ruotsalaisella Vega aluksella vuosina 1878-1879. Väylä oli tuolloin käyttöke...